Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mommy Brain

Mommy brain is the phrase used to describe the female brain after childbirth when a host of postpartum hormones, lack of sleep and the reality of the responsibility of nurturing a human being set in. This trifecta often results in blank stares in response to perfectly simple questions or a black hole in your mind when trying to retrieve a certain word or phrase. I have definitely experienced "mommy brain" since the birth of my first daughter in 2008.

However, there are also countless things I've realized I would never have thought about if I hadn't become a mother. This, too, I think of as mommy brain, but without the bad reputation. These include all sorts of thoughts and reflections about life and humanity that surface in the everyday acts of raising my daughters. Since I am a writer at heart, I've felt the need to capture some of these revelations in the written word, whether they be thoughts about cloth diapers or human emotion. So, I'm going to start posting them here.

Project "mommy brain" is born.